Charles & Ray Eames
collection

Charles and Ray Eames were trendsetters in international design and worked in fields of architecture, furniture design, photography, film, exhibition design, and graphic design.

Between the years 1941 to 1943 Charles and Ray Eames designed stretchers and leg splints from molded laminated wood, produced with the help of the Evans company in Los Angeles. In 1946 the Museum of Modern Art in New York exhibited these experiments of molded laminated wood at and soon after Eames' furniture designs were manufactured by Herman Miller. Their lives and work represented the nation's defining movements: the West Coast's coming-of-age, the economy's shift from making goods to producing information, and the global expansion of American culture.

Charles and Ray Eames embraced the era's visionary concept of modern design as an agent of social change, elevating it to a national agenda. Their evolution from furniture designers to cultural ambassadors demonstrated their boundless talents and the overlap of their interests with those of their country. In a rare era of shared objectives, the Eameses partnered with the federal government and the country's top businesses to lead the charge to modernize postwar America.

They participated in exhibitions such as "Qu'est-ce que le design" at the Musee des Art Decoratifs in Paris and "Low-Cost Furniture Design", a MoMA competition. In 1949 they built the Case Study House No. 8 and by 1964 they received honorary degrees from the Pratt Institute in New York.

Charles and Ray Eames left behind legendary work that to this day continues to resonate with people from all backgrounds. In November 2004, Luminaire was pleased to welcome Eames Demetrios, Principal of the Eames office and grandson of Charles and Ray Eames, to Miami to speak about the preservation and extension of the work begun by his grandparents.